Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kind of Like the Swine Flu, Except Not

With all the hype about the swine flu I feel obligated to write about it. You know, offer up my two cents. 

The only problem is, I don't really have anything to say about the swine flu. 
It's the flu. It's spreading like a virus. I hope it doesn't make me throw up.

Oh I'd also like it to go away. 

That, essentially, is the extent of my opinion on the H1N1 virus that people have been incorrectly calling the swine flu. 


I do have something to say, though, about the new word that, for the last three days, has been coming out of my mouth like Airborne comes out of your nose when you laugh whilst drinking it.

The word is oy. 

I have no idea where it came from. And I just keep saying it. Over. and. Over. 

Roxy coughs. I say oy. 

I realize I'm five minutes late for class and practically all out of parking quarters. I sigh, and say oy. 

I stand in line to  break the cardinal rule by purchasing food stuffs at Walmart. I say OY! 

And, as I drive home from school, happy classes are over, I sing oy. Multiple times. To a tune that is most likely a combination between twinkle twinkle little star and that Vanilla Ice rap.


I'm thinking this word (now here's the part where it's kind of like the swine flu) is a hybrid of my two swear-word euphemisms of choice--

Aye aye aye and oh (as in oh no, oh well, okayyy?, uh oh, and ohhhh).  

Oh + Aye = Oy

And now the word is spreading like a virus. 
Like an unstoppable virus. 
Like an unstoppable virus that only affects me and my vocabulary.

I have said it out loud at least 10 times today. I have sung it out loud at least 9 times today. And as far as in my head goes, that word has been thought at least 30 times today. 

Seriously. Oy. 


Moral of the story: be careful what you mix together, hybrids have a tendency to spread. 




1 comment:

  1. You must have some jewishness (Is that a word??? Well it is now.) coming out in you. Of course I think we all do, and it eventually spills out of us. It is uncontrollable. How else does the rest of the world end up speaking yiddish slang????

    There you go....that's my theory...

    ReplyDelete