I don't know if you know this about me or not, but I was the editor in chief of my high school yearbook staff.
I took myself pretty seriously back then, spending hours writing stories that would end up covered in sharpie-marker signatures.
Yes, I thought yearbook was journalism. Yes, I chose my major largely based on the fact that I liked those deadlines where we'd sit around at school until 8 p.m. eating cups of Ramen and participating in plastic chair races, until we finally decided to give up on getting the proofs in on time, and went to Sonic instead.
Yes, I was shocked, SHOCKED, when I found out that to be a journalist you actually have to interview people, and not just any people, but strangers, STRANGERS.
And sometimes, when I'm approaching people on the street asking them if I can interview them and take their picture, I miss the days when getting a quote meant asking someone in my math class to say something interesting about orchestra.
But I miss yearbook most at the end of the school year, as I turn in my last final, and walk alone to my car on campus. <
I miss it, because well, I'm a girl, and I need closure.
I need everyone I know to write on the blank pages at the end of my book, "Have a great summer" and "Never change."
I especially miss those really sincere messages like, "Call me. 480-945-8221" and "I hope your life rocks."
Because the thing is, some really great people walk in and out of your life. Everyone you meet has a little impact on the person you become--on the person you are. Even if you never see them again, you share a significant part of you life with these people. And most importantly, if any of those people happen to get famous, it's important to have a copy of their autograph as proof you were friends once.
That is why I have decided to make an executive decision, and appoint myself as editor in chief of the 2010 Wildcat Yearbook.
The theme will probably come right from the heart of an especially inspirational Jonas Brothers' hit, and the colors I choose to carry the theme will be chosen randomly by that elimination game Ink a Bink a Bottle of Ink.
My high school yearbook adviser didn't allow yearbook staffers to put their photos in the yearbook. But since I am now self-appointed editor in chief, production manager, photographer and staff, you can rest assured my picture will be on every page.
That way, as I trudge to my car next year, walking away from the end of my college days, I won't have to feel so lonely. I'll just pull out my book and read hundreds of signatures--all from people who hope I get a job and have a great summer.
You just don't get better than that, people. That's like getting a hundred fortune cookies, addressed personally to you.
So, if you'd like your own copy of this yearbook, please let me know ASAP. Your 10 dollar deposit guarantees your picture on at least one page and your name listed in the index.
Oh and one more thing. To all the people reading my blog, I sincerely hope you...
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!
XOXO
Alec
Call me. I hope your life rocks!
ReplyDelete