It's the last day of November.
I am wearing blue.
And in the last two days, this side of Arizona has finally accepted that it's simply not summer anymore.
But let's go back to the last day of November bit.
Because this month I have written exactly two posts (the current included). And neither of them, up to this point, have said a single thing for which I'm grateful.
Which, on the bad person scale, puts me somewhere between a babysitter who steals a scoop of ice cream and kitten killer.
I like to stay as far away from the kitten killer side of that scale as possible.
So, I have decided to remedy this by telling you at least one thing for which I am grateful on this, the last day of November.
And here goes.
ONE. The Auto Zone.
When my car's engine light came on twice, in not so many months, I was saddened.
And I said, "Lola, the Corolla, what the heck? I know I called you akin to a low grade stripper, and I sometimes park you outside of the lines, but seriously. A battery, a 60k service and your very own bottle of Febreeze in just a couple of weeks? What more do you want from me? Why are you flashing that ridiculous-looking engine light in my face?"
And after that speech, I began picturing myself riding one of those engine bike things on the 60 freeway to work everyday. Maybe with a pink helmet and some nice knee pads.
But since my face is sensitive to the wind, I knew that would never work.
I prepared myself for the worst. I visualized handing over my Visa to a smiling mechanic with car grease stuck under his finger nails. And I practiced reacting to the news that Lola was simply not going to make it this time.
But then I found out that Auto Zone would tell me that Lola was dying for free. And I thought that sounded like a good enough deal, so I drove her to the store and parked her right up front.
Guess what!
Lola needed a new gas cap.
Not open heart surgery.
Thank you Auto Zone; I am grateful for YOU.
TWO. Vegetable Broth.
Needs no explanation.
THREE. Blankets.
Have I ever mentioned my affinity toward being warm?
FOUR. Blog posts without lists.
I must remember in the future that writing lists not intended for the grocery store or a busy Saturday irritates me.
FIVE. A lot of other things, for which I am even more grateful than vegetable broth and $12 car repairs.
And I would list them, one by one, except that I can't for various reasons, including, but not limited to, that it would put me too close to the hearts, stars and rainbows extreme of the bad person scale, and I don't want to give any false impressions or anything, and also, that's a lot of pressure, since no one can be a Lisa Frank explosion all the time.
Also, I don't know if you missed the bit a few paragraphs above about banning all future lists that are not meant merely for organizational purposes.
So basically, in conclusion, I would like to give a note to the other things, of which there are many-- I am grateful for YOU, all the time.
But especially today,
the last day of November,
on which I wore blue,
and it was cold outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment