Monday, June 15, 2009

Epic.

As far as fad groupies go, I'm usually on the lower end of enthusiasm. Like, for example, I'll probably smile when it's song comes on the radio, but getting me to buy a T-shirt, let alone the $14 dollar CD, is near next to impossible. 


WAIT! Don't read that sentence three times to try to figure out what it means, okay. I'm going to explain. 


My elementary school life was marked by 3 major fads.

1) Pogs

2) Pokemon Cards

3) Crazy Bones 


I thought pogs were pretty cool, especially the sparkly ones. So one day I paid the 25 cent machine and bought one. Everyone else in my class had 300 pogs and knew the best ones to use in a flicking battle. My in-expertise about pog battles is most likely what caused me to lose my 25 cent sparkly pog. 


A few years later, everyone got over the pog fad and started buying pokemon cards. I watched pokemon and admittedly wanted a pikachu of my own, but I never got into the actual card collecting thing. 

The neighborhood boys kept telling me I was missing out and almost successfully convinced me that the pokemon card was a wise business investment. After all, in 10 short years their sparkly Charizard card would certainly be worth 500 dollars, at least. 

I didn't buy it. I also didn't buy the cards. I did end up getting a few cards by trading a handmade paper telescope for them at a spontaneous garage sale my friend and I had one night at a sleep over. 


In fifth grade my fad fate changed forever. Some perky sales man posing as a fundraising leader came into my class and gave each of us a crazy bone to keep and cherish forever. He gave me the shark--the best crazy bone in the bag. And for the record, I'm pretty sure the shark was sparkly.

I of course had no idea it was the best crazy bone ever. That is, until every boy in my class started trying to trade me for their super LAME-O crazy bones. 

I was very popular that day. 

Anyway, I put that plastic shark head in my pocket for good luck and good keeping and considered myself the queen of all crazy bones. 

That is, until I found out that you could purchase entire bags of crazy bones at your nearest Walgreens. Soon every boy I knew had a clone of my shark head crazy bone, backed up by an entire army of the plastic pieces of the next BIG thing. 

I thought about buying my own package of crazy bones at my own nearest drug store, but by fifth grade I was already far too rational for my age and realized that if pogs and pokemon had died, crazy bones were probably just one flick away from their own doom. 


So, back to my point:

I'm not really a big fad follower. 

But I've found a fad that I just might want to take part in. I'm talking, buy the CD, listen to the music, maybe even sing along, take part in.


It's this epic thing.

Everyone keeps throwing around the word Epic. And doing Epic things. And writing Epic on their facebook statuses. And, I'm pretty sure, in general, they're being Epic. 

I want in.

As in, I would like this summer to be epic.

The End.




(P.S. I realize this blog could have been much shorter. But I am trying to make my blog boyfriend happy. And help him realize he is more than just a booty call.)

4 comments:

  1. We can so totally have an EPIC summer after the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to use that word in my comment, even though I think I'm supposed to. But I'm having a legendarily huge and drama-riddled summer! I hope you are, too!

    Your blog boyfriend would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, raccoons and spider monkeys have the same interest in collecting shiny things that seemingly increase their popularity.

    Raccoons have always been epic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy an RV and drive it until it dies.

    ReplyDelete