Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This Turquoise That I Am Wearing Will Supposedly Cure My Insomnia

My sisters bought me a semi-precious chunk of turquoise for me on their way back from girls camp. 

It is my new favorite piece of jewelry. 

It is going to cure my insomnia and balance my calcium levels. 

Not to mention fix every other character flaw in the book. 

In the mean time, while I am waiting for its magic to kick in, I am going to choose a word from my Spanish dictionary and write a story about it. 

And the word is...

(I promise I didn't cheat...)

MARGARITA.

"Cóctel hecho con tequila, jugo de lima o limón y Triple Sec que se usualmente en copas en cuyos bordes se ha colocado sal" (Diccionario Ingelés por Houghton Mifflin)


In Mexico, my sisters and I were frequent customers at the Margarita Bar. Actually, my sisters were frequent customers at the Margarita Bar. (I never ordered a drink for myself because I had a green wristband, and I didn't want anyone accidentally dropping tequila in my Margarita just because I was wearing the alcohol allowed color of wristband.)

Anyway, it was right after I had finished drinking a tequila-free Margarita when I met Ringo. 

Ringo was a 30-something-year-old Italian man who spoke little English and worked at the resort we were staying at. He was the type of guy that said things like, "Your eyes are so beautiful." He was the type of guy that gazed into those eyes he thought were beautiful. And he was the type of guy that called himself a Latin Lover while dancing the Merengue.

I am the type of girl that gags at phrases about beautiful eyes. The type of girl that runs from the Merengue. 

However, I do have a soft spot for boys who speak little English.

So, at the prodding of my supporting, loving parents, I helped Ringo with a contest he was working on one day. We went around to the vacationers on the beach asking them how many jelly beans were in the bottle, or something like that. 

I helped Ringo with his English. In return, he told the vacationers he wanted to marry me. 

I cannot post the letter he wrote to me at the end of my trip. It is too personal. 

But I will say this. At one point it says, "Stay with me this night."

This is why it was so important in Mexico to ensure that my Margaritas were tequila-free. 

You never know, a little shot of low-quality Tequila, and I may have come home with my own personal Italian eye gazer. 

Dear Ringo, Thank you for making my Mexico stay special. 

I will never forget you. 

Or the Margaritas. 

7 comments:

  1. Kay, now lie. I just giggled at the stay with me tonight line! Awesome! Miss you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was supposed to say no lie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, so would your own personal italian eye gazer be in your womb, or are we talking about the original? Because I don't think they would let him across the border.

    I liked this post. A light-hearted one every now and then is like...a...refreshing virgin margarita on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh. Ringo. That Italian, Latin lover is probably still pining away for you. Every time he organizes a bocce tournament, he discretely wipes a tear from his eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chesca - Miss you, too. We will have to plan a trip when we can actually all go.

    Colton - I was talking about the original. Even high-quality tequila wouldn't have been able to convince me to spend the night. I've just always considered tequila a powerful love potion...that's all I was implying here.

    Also, could you please stop outshining me with your comments? I mean, seriously, I write lines and lines and lines and then you write something hilarious in a few sentences.

    Please don't take this the wrong way. I don't want you to stop commenting. I'd just like your comments to be slightly more dull.


    Kyla - Your comment was beautifully written. Would you like to guest post? I cannot think of anything interesting to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this story! I think you should run with it. Heck, if Stephenie Meyers can become a mega star with her vampire story....you are definately headed for stardom! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story... how are you Alec? This is your long lost cousin, Melissa, who found you blog through Jenna.

    ReplyDelete