Well that is a very good question. One, in fact, that I am hoping to answer while I am here.
But, it all started in December of last year.
I had just gotten back from Mexico, and I was feeling very sorry for myself for having to leave that beautiful place. So, consequently, I decided I needed a way to get back to the white sands of the Carribbean.
And so I decided to go to Argentina. In the winter.
The End.
Kay, just kidding.
I decided to intern in Costa Rica during the summer. It was a beautiful plan, full of periodismos and sunny afternoons. And maybe even some turtle saving in the middle.
But, there were two problems: I missed the deadline, and I had this great idea to study abroad for a full semester instead.
So, on April 14th I looked up the study abroad programs at my school, only to find that the deadline was April 15th.
So I quickly applied for the only study abroad program that offered Spanish and Journalism. It was in Argentina.
And thus began a very long process of stressful application steps. I had to do things that, in general, I avoid as if my life depends on it. Things like going to the doctor and asking for letters of reccommendation.
It was awful.
And by the time I had finished doing all those things that I otherwise would have avoided like the plauge, I missed the final deadline by 3 days.
And I cried a little, and then I moved on. Because it turns out, not going to Argentina was considerably less stressful than going to Argentina.
So I gave up on the idea.
And then, approximately 2 weeks later, just when I was feeling really good about having a calm summer in Arizona, I had a minor panic attack.
All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I realized that I needed to go to Argentina. That I was supposed to be there. That the streets of Buenos Aires were crying my name.
And I was all, ”DONT CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA!””
And as I sang that Evita song over and over in my head, I tried to convince myself that I couldnt go to Argentina. That the school was simply not going to accept my application 6 weeks late. That there was no way I could go to Argentina. That the dream was dead.
Which is when I had a thought.
I didnt have to study abroad to go to Argentina.
And then I had another thought.
I was going to need a credit card.
And before I knew it, I was online figuring out flight arrangements. And then I was sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting to leave the country.
And now I am here in Argentina, with cold toes and fingers, wondering a little why I feel drawn to this city.
Its not me at all.
But then again, maybe thats the point.
(P.S. thanks for the comments guys, it makes me feel closer to home. Also, no this post does not mean that I have a power converter, it just means I am officially addicted to blogging.)
I just want to be the first to say that the "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" twist was brilliant. As are you. I'm glad you went. The feeling that I need valium to deaden my panic is slowly starting to fade...
ReplyDeleteYou know, I wanted several times to do a semester abroad somewhere. But instead, I just did nothing. At least you are making a miserable memory, I just remember nothing.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like things are slowly improving, though. At least in Argentina you won't stick out as badly...I think that is the only Spanish speaking country with a bunch of blondes running around.