Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Well... Crap.

When I first got here, it was cold. 

I felt weird using a someone else's toilet.

I couldn't sleep under someone else's sheets.

I got excited every time I saw a McDonalds, because it felt like home. 

And I was a lonely girl with cold finger tips and a scarf that I didn't know how to tie. 


I thought, for a few days, I didn't like traveling much after all. 

I thought, for a few days, I was more of a vacation girl. 


But today, under the warmth of the 20 degrees in Celsius sun (whatever that means), I took my camera to a museum and a park. 

And I wandered the halls looking at paintings by Van Gough and by Monet. By Goya and by some kid from Pennsylvania. 

I got lost in the rivers of Venice, Italy, in the countryside of France, in the history of Spain and in the cathedrals of Rome. 

And then I wandered through the parks of Argentina, taking pictures of everything, with or without knowing their significance. 


And suddenly, I wanted to learn everything. 

I wanted to know why that statue of the naked cupid people was sitting in that park. 

I wanted to know how Monet knew that his blobs of paint would look like a pond of lilies from far away. 

I wanted to know what gelato tastes like when they it's handmade in Italy. 

I wanted to know what New York feels like at night. 

I wanted to know how they treat English-only speaking Americans in France. 

And what the sand feels like in Greece. 

I wanted to see the Great Barrier Reef through my own pair of scuba diving goggles. 

And watch Tahitian dancers in Tahiti. 

I want to know why they dance like that in Tahiti. What's behind the hips that, seriously, shake it like a salt shaker.

I want to ride a camel in Egypt. 

And then go to the movie theaters there, with some kids my age.

I want to talk to people in their native language. 

And hang out with them in their home town. 

I want to stand under their sun. 

And let them measure it in Celsius or Farenheit or Kelvin.

And then I want to thank them, for letting me visit. 

Because people all around this world are so great. 



I have a lot of work to do.

There's so much I need to learn about this world.

3 comments:

  1. Did you want to know if Indiana Jones could beat up Chuck Norris? ....i want to know that :)
    And i agree, using other people's toilets is really weird...depending on how bad you have to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, moneybags, you best start filling out some study abroad applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no... I have no money. That is why I have a lot of work to do.

    Seriously.

    A lot. of. work.

    ReplyDelete