Friday, March 5, 2010

a Post that Manages to Make me Sound incredibly Lame but Is supposed To be About serendipitous Moments and The smell Of books

I love books.

Not library books. Those ones don't smell good.

I love bookstore books.

And today I bought a book I'm afraid is going to make me cry until my tears run out.

I know the ending is sad.

And I hate sad endings.

But I bought it anyway.

Because on K-Love the other day they defined a God-shaped hole.

Which reminded me of this book that my best friend from freshman year loved, and told me I should read, but also shouldn't read--due to some raunchy situations.

And when K-Love was talking away on the radio about holes and such, I was already planning to go to the bookstore. I've been planning to go for a few weeks now.

Because my head gets straight there.


AND, because I thought maybe if I sat in a bookstore's Starbucks long enough, I would find a friend who wanted to talk about novels and life and philosophy with me.

I'm not kidding. I really thought that. Probably because I watch too many chick flicks. And also because I think it would be fun to have a bookstore friend. We could bond over our common love for the smell of books.


Anyhow, when I found the book today, I couldn't put it down.

Even though I already had two books to buy.

I tried to put it back, but it wanted me to read it.

And then, in a moment of indecisive despair, I called my sister and asked her if I should buy it, and she said yes.

And that's pretty much all I need to call the whole situation fate.

Well that, and this:

Chapter one, first line--

"If your intentions are pure, I'm seeking a friend, for the end, of the world."


Do you know what's even better than a bookstore friend?

A friend for the end of the world.

1 comment:

  1. You say "manages to make me sound incredibly lame" like that is some kind of surprise.

    Just kidding.

    I, too, love the smell of new books, but I also love the smell of lobster. Enough said. At least if you decide to burn a bunch of money on books it doesn't just go down the drain 24 hours later.

    ReplyDelete