Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Brought to you straight from the bottom of my "School Stuff" Box

For the last few days, I've been cleaning out my old school stuff box.

It's been fun.

And enlightening really.

For example, here are two template poems written 6 years apart--

"If I were in Charge of the World" - January 1998 (4th grade)

If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel getting shots,
Tomatoes except for ketchup,
Violence
And also onions except for onion rings.

If I were in charge of the world
There'd be robots to clean for you and
Candy would be for free.

If I were in charge of the world
You wouldn't have spiders,
You wouldn't have scorpions,
You wouldn't have posin (poison??) snacks
Or sharks.
You wouldn't even have ants that bite.

If I were in charge of the world
A government would be fair.
All countries would be free.
And a person who sometimes forgot to turn off lights
And sometimes forgot to practice piano
Would still be allowed to be
In charge of the world.



"If I were in Charge of the World" - 2004 (10th grade)

If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel early mornings,
Doctor appointments
Casserole
And stupid boys.

If I were in charge of the world
There'd be closer stars
Louder laughs
And more smiles.

If I were in charge of the world
You wouldn't have homework.
You wouldn't have bad hair days.
Or "don't stay out too late".
You wouldn't even have too late.

If I were in charge of the world
Dogs would be allowed to go everywhere with you.
All ice cream would be fat free.
And a person who sometimes was a little late
And sometimes tends to procrastinate
Would still be allowed to be in charge of the world.




After comparing these two poems, I have realized two things.

1. My general concern for politics and government disappeared upon exiting the fourth grade.

2. The only common string between 4th and 8th grade me, is my passion (read: strong feelings) for food. I mean, I devote entire stanzas to offing onions and casserole. And then five seconds later, I'm commanding free candy and fatless ice cream for all.

Not to mention, at 9 years old, I was very concerned about getting rid of those "poison snacks".

They just ruin it for everyone.


2 comments:

  1. Definitely love the poems, especially the 4th grade version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that might have been poison snakes???

    ReplyDelete