Monday, November 30, 2009

Blue Ray, I Love You But You Are Sort of Ruining the End Kissing Scenes

I woke up Thursday morning.

And I smiled, because my parents pay their heating bill.
So I was warm, even without 10 blankets draped over my shivering body.

Also, it was Thanksgiving.

Turns out, I am thankful for mashed potatoes and baby-size pies.
I am thankful for crystal glasses and frozen grape juice mixed with sprite.
I am thankful for toasts to Thanksgiving and a chair for me at the table.
I am thankful for three pounds of spilt salt and for traditional weebles in the flour.
I am thankful for the people who work at Blockbuster even though it's a holiday.
I am thankful for warm winters.
I am thankful for salsa dancing with seniors and for shave ice at Bahama Bucks.
I am thankful for laughing. And for leftovers. And for clean dishes five minutes after dinner.
I am thankful for sitting around a table and talking about summer camp and swim videos and big screen TVs and Disneyland and smoked turkey and mumps and carrot pudding and this year and last year and right now and right here.

And I am thankful for family.
Because I really got stuck with a good one.


I think it helps that they like blue ray as much as I do.

Even though, sometimes, when the characters kiss at the end, I can see pieces of slobber coming out of their mouths.

And that kind of ruins the moment for me.


But that doesn't ruin my family for me.

Because they kind of rock.


And, sometimes they watch sexual harassment videos while we are eating omelets at the dinner table.

While stuffing your face with waffles, if you turn your ear to the left, you might catch the end of this:

"While on a business trip it is appropriate to sexually assault you co-worker because you are away from the office:
True OR
False?"

And between bites of hash-browns, you might hear something like this:

"If you're co-worker is an easy target for jokes you should:
a. Make fun of her every chance you get OR
b. Only joke with her sometimes."


So, also, I'm thankful for sexual harassment lessons.
Because I don't know how we'd get by without them.

1 comment:

  1. Weebles? That sounds like a cute villain from a Dr. Seuss book.

    Alec, you do realize that if you post something about how you normally enjoy kissing scenes, a boy is liable to actually ask you out? Be careful.

    ReplyDelete