Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I Have A Dilemma

I love the idea of everything Christmas.

I'm talking: constructing gingerbread houses, placing christmas tree ornaments, decorating sugar cookies with homemade dough and frosting, delivering chocolate covered pretzels to the neighbors, wrapping presents, shopping for presents, watching Christmas movies, drinkinghot apple cider & hot chocolate, hanging stockings & lights, etc.

And every year when December rolls around I make big plans.

But by the time I finish finals and finish fighting the crowds at Best Buy on Christmas Eve, I barely have time to read Polar Express and put on my Christmas socks before bedtime.

And then I wake up Christmas morning, smile--and then frown, because I just realized I forgot to even make a freaking gingerbread man.

As for learning a complex version of carol of the bells on the piano...well, I didn't even buy the music.

And I know, I know, that's not what Christmas is about.

And usually come Christmas Eve, I'm not all that disappointed. I'm just happy to be home, curled up on the floor next to my sister's bed, laughing about Christmases past.

So I'm not that shallow. Okay? Okay.

It's just that I like baking cookies. Okay? Okay.

So, I have designated Saturday as decorating and celebrating day.

Which is good. Great, actually.

Except for one tiny detail.

I can't decorate, shop, watch every Christmas movie, read my favorite Christmas books, bake cookies, gingerbread, covered pretzels and chex mix, and drink egg nog, sparkling cider, apple cider and hot chocolate ALL IN ONE DAY.

Do you see my problem?

(Note: I recognize that this is starting to sound startling similar to a MCB post, but I can't help it. I can't reign in my obnoxious commercial-style Christmas spirit. In December, I can't fight the urge to hang scrapbook-style, decorated Christmas stories on my living room wall.)


I'll let you know how Saturday goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment