Tuesday, October 4, 2011

If We Were a Movie

You know that part in a movie that comes right after the beginning and right before the climax?

If we were in freshman English I would call it the rising action.

It's the part that's basically just boring, but you watch it anyway because you trust that something good is about to happen.

It's the part when Gaston proposes to Belle.

It's the part when Rapunzel sends her fake mom searching for birthday paint.

It's the part when a lot of barking happens on 101 Dalmatians.

It also happens in non-Disney movies.

A Knight's Tale when they try to figure out what to do with the dead guy.

Batman when Christian Bale goes and lives in the mountain.


That's a lot of examples. You get the point right? There's a boring mountain part right before Batman becomes, well, Batman.


That's the part of life I'm in.


Except, my rising action is taking way longer than 15 minutes and a song about a provincial life.

Like, if this was a movie, I would have to say something--

"Hey Spielberg, no one is watching anymore. They've all lost interest. Everyone in the theatre is gone... Do you think we could wrap this up so I can cross make a full length feature film off my bucket list?"


But it's not a movie. And if my life was a movie, Spielberg would not be directing it. I respect him and all, but he seems to have a thing for aliens, and I'm not sure my life is really heading in that direction.


Anyway, I don't know what a girl has to do to get a little more climax around here.


Maybe it's time to ride my horse into the wilderness at the risk of being attacked by wolves.

Or maybe I just need to convince my friends to pitch in money to help me join a lancing club.

Or, I don't know, what happens in Batman? I stopped watching during the mountain training part.


The point is, usually you have to do something crazy to find your climax.

And the craziest thing I did today was stand barefoot in the street while it was raining.

It didn't work.

And it was cold.


So I'm going to go clean my bathroom now.

Not because cleaning the bathroom is the kind of crazy that will land me a climax.

But because I don't want to have a dirty bathroom when I decide to leave my tower in search of the floating lights.

I think I'll have enough to think about without having to worry about a dirty bathtub.

Besides, cleaning is almost always part of the boring part.

Snow White.
Cinderella.
Tangled.
27 Dresses.

Just to name a few.


I'm one bathroom bleaching and one far-off adventure away from the climax I've been waiting for.

I just know it.

3 comments:

  1. just typed "Alec is" into google to see what would come up.
    i was sad to see (you would be happy to know) that "Alec is a girl's name" is the second thing it recommends.
    i did not know Alec was a girl's name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are posting again. I really enjoy the thoughts that come out of your head. Sometimes because they match mine, and sometimes because you make me go "What?" and I love when people make me look at a different perspective.

    Go find your craziness so that you can continue writing more amazing posts that make me laugh and nod my head at you. Or well at the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I'm still waiting for my climax too.

    ReplyDelete