Especially the part where I look through all the bananas to find the partially green ones that are bite-size. I love buying bananas and lettuce and yogurt and apple juice.
I'm going to miss my room.
My room that happens to be large enough to house every single article of dirty clothing I own, while at the same time containing years worth of unsold school books, a pile of blankets, me and my dog.
I'm going to miss my grape plants.
Two of them have survived my poor gardening skills. They've stayed alive all the way since freshman year when I released my anger, frustration and sadness by shoveling holes in the ground in the backyard.
I'm going to miss my desk.
The same desk that I stared at while I lay on my bed typing thousands of words about pirates, Winne Dixie, water quality and Elizabeth Bennet.
I'm going to miss the pothole in the middle of Silverbell road.
But only because that pothole reminds me that I actually hate Tucson.
And mostly I'm going to miss the people who somehow made me miss Tucson.
Three and a half years ago, I couldn't wait to get out of this smelly city where sometimes the entire freeway closes down for extended periods of time. I didn't care if it had pretty mountains, fun hiking trails and great Mexican food. Nothing would tie me to this hole of a town in the Southwest.
But I was wrong.
Because Tucson has some of the greatest people I have ever met.
So I guess you can't judge a population based on the plot of land it sits on.
Because in this stinky place, I've met some really nice smelling people.
And I'm going to miss them.
Or I would miss them... If I wasn't coming back to eat Mexican food every weekend.
You still have an entire semester, right? Don't despair. Cities are like people. If you've made up your mind to dislike them, you will find plenty of reasons.
ReplyDeleteAnd Winn Dixie sucks. I went there yesterday. The service was awful...a la Food City. But they didn't make up for it by having lower prices.