Monday, January 18, 2010

Vagueness Deleted

Have you ever gotten on facebook, scrolled through the status updates and then suddenly stopped because apparently your one time acquaintance who you haven't seen in 3 and a half years is "baby coming in 3 weeks" or is "29 days" or is "seriously thinking about just giving up, this just isn't worth it"?

If you're anything like me, next comes a flood of questions about this person who is either that one girl who sat behind you in language arts, you're little sister's friend who is trying to reach 1000 friends by February or some creeper from Austria that sits on facebook searching for random people to friend.

All the sudden, I'm like OMG(osh) is Nicole preggers? (That's right, I divert to Seriously, So Blessed lingo upon hearing such news about practically strangers.)

And then I think, well maybe her boyfriend or niece is just coming into town.

And I move on.

And then I STOP again. Because, Frank, what is happening in 29 days? Are you getting married? (Should I have been sent an invite?) Are you going on a cruise in the Caribbean? (Should I be jealous?) Did you randomly make a paper chain for 29 days? (Should I make one, too?)

And then I think, well I suppose something significant in Frank's life is happening in 29 days. Maybe someone will comment and hint as to what it is. Maybe tomorrow, on 28 days, this will be all cleared up.

And I keep reading.

But then I get all uncomfortable because Susie G. may be posting her suicide note on facebook, and suddenly I'm wishing I would have taken notes when the commercial about suicide awareness came on the radio.

But, then again, maybe Susie G. is just giving up on a particularly difficult math problem. After all, those 7th graders I'm friends with have tendencies to give up on math problems.

In the meantime, facebook has created this convenient little comment box that allows you to ask questions about vague status updates. Unfortunately, I can't use that for a few valid reasons:
a. I can't remember if this person is from Austria or my language arts class. Is it really appropriate for me to ask if she's about to pop out an offspring?
b. Maybe I should already know what's happening in 29 days--wouldn't want to come across insensitive or forgetful.
c. Everyone wants to know; I just don't want to be the one to ask.

My point (besides to complain about vague status updates) is to recognize that my blog has been kind of like one big vague status update lately.

Alec is "sad to leave Tucson."

Alec is "packing everything into boxes."

Alec is "acknowledging politics."

I don't want to bore you, but for the sake of some people who might be thinking, what the heck is going on, and was this girl in my English class?, I'll try to help you out.

1. My letter of sadness to Tucson was not a suicide note.

2. I don't know if I was in your English class. Get a yearbook.

And 3. I'm finishing my last semester at U of A in Phoenix, doing an internship. For said internship I am reporting on the Arizona legislature. The FAQ, who's the internship with, is a little harder to explain. But basically it's with the U of A, but I work in a pressroom with awesome people like Arizona Republic, AP and Arizona Public Radio reporters.

So far I love it.

When I applied, I thought I hated politics. (Don't ask, I rarely understand why frequently my actions conflict with my feelings.)

It turns out, I am very interested in politics. (One point for the actions.)

And for honesty sake, I am also intimidated.
I've always depended on grades for validation, and now they're gone. (I think I'll apply for grad school.)

And that's about it.

Oh, except for my vague facebook status.

Which says, "it's never too late."

My cousin made me write that when I told him it was too late to turn me into a rebel.

Don't worry, I didn't have an epiphany or anything.

No, I just am holding out hope that I can still be a rebel someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment